Several new ministries started – Lending Library, Junior Church, Pastor’s Aide, first Women’ Day, Junior Choir, Men’s Department, the Young & Adult Choir and the Male Chorus. A pipe organ, stained glass windows and hardwood pews were added in 1926, 1928 and 1941 respectively. In 1963 Rev. Adkins passed after 43 years as pastor; Deacon William Willis, our current Senior Deacon, served as church administrator for 14 months.
In 1983, there was a major influx of Maryland residents and 10 new Deacons were ordained to keep up with growth. In 1984 the new 8 AM Sunday Service started. In 1985 the Church budget was $300,000 and membership was up to 1,200 persons. This growth required planning for an even larger sanctuary and therefore Rev. Peterson appointed an Expansion, Parking and Renovation Committee to study the need. In 1984, the church embarked on a “Sister Church” relationship with Providence Baptist Church in Monrovia, Liberia, West Africa. This relationship was a spiritual exchange with fellowship, pulpit exchanges, correspondence and other shared experiences. In addition, our pastor, Rev. Peterson organized and participated in international meetings, preached and conducted revivals in Africa, the Caribbean, U.S.S.R., the Middle and Far East.
In 1991, Rev. Peterson ordained nine female Deacons from among the Deaconess Board and disbanded the Deaconess Board. In 1992 the Church began construction to enlarge the church complex. In 1993 the Church established a “Policy and Procedure Committee’ and the ‘Budget Process Committee’ to revise existing church policies. In 1994 the March-In Ceremony to the current church complex was held and 40 nights of dedication followed.
In 2000, as the new century was ushered in, President William J. Clinton attended our 8AM worship service. In 2001, the Church celebrated Homecoming after a 40 year hiatus and also burned the mortgage during its 198th Church Anniversary. From 2000 to 2003, new Ministries began to keep pace with the times – Young Adult Ministry (YAM) was created for those 18 years to 30-something; HIV AIDS Ministry was created to educate on HIV AIDS; Recovery Ministry was created for those needing counseling in substance abuse; Helping Hands (now Caregivers) Ministry was created by the first lady of the church, Mrs. Joyce Peterson to assist caregivers, especially targeting Alzheimer’s caregivers.
In 2003, the church celebrated its Bicentennial with a year long celebration. History was presented through historical tours and displays; an Anniversary quilt was made, and a historical marker was presented by the state of Virginia.