The Cancer Care & Awareness Program seeks to educate and instill hope in the lives of the members of the Alfred Street Baptist Church who have been touched by cancer, by providing information, empowerment and peer support. Our goal is to serve as an advocate for our congregation during any stage of the cancer lifecycle, from preventative measures, diagnosis information, treatment, and/or remission stages. Our members are cancer survivors, caregivers, and family and friends of persons affected by cancer. CC&A is based on three pillars: Early Diagnosis Information Sessions, Education.
The Health & Wellness Ministry assists the members of Alfred Street Baptist Church in keeping each “temple” of God healthy for service to God by promoting an ongoing awareness of the importance of good health care. Its primary mission is to assist the membership and the community in the development of a healthy mind and body by increasing an awareness of preventive health measures through health education. In addition, the ministry provides targeted screening and other preventive measures (e.g., educational awareness and preventive programs, health fairs and seminars) thus, improving the overall health status of its members, their families and the community at large. Also, the ministry facilitates medical coverage for all church services and programs such as Brother’s Keeper, Awana and HBCU to name a few.
Current program activities:
• Blood Pressure Screenings: Scheduled Sessions
• CPR & AED Training (TBA)
• Health Fair & Blood Drive: Scheduled Session
• Medicare 101 Seminar: Scheduled Session
• Medical Appreciation Service Day (TBA)
• Provide educational information – Ongoing
• Provide support to the Senior, Women, Men & Young Adults Ministries (Scheduled Sessions: Guest speakers & Medical Assistance)
Meetings on one Saturday per month
This ministry provides HIV and AIDS education and support, and imparts prevention methods to ASBC members and the community. People whose lives have been affected by HIV and AIDS will find loving support through participation in local, national and worldwide initiatives, counseling and testing, collaboration with local health departments, training opportunities, conferences, ministry publications, video and guest speaker presentations, meetings and engagement in prayer. Please see the ASBC E-Blast for meeting times and locations.
Support Discussion in Room 323/324)
Getting Real – Recovery on the Southside – The Recovery Ministry offers a safe, welcoming, and confidential environment where people can get honest about the issues that are interfering with their lives. We provide Christ-centered peer support groups that are similar to the 12-step model of AA, and actively work to encourage spiritual development through the practical application of Biblical principles and disciplines. Our members are pursuing recovery from a variety of issues including but not limited to: alcoholism, drug addiction, compulsive eating, compulsive spending and codependency.
The Sports Ministry promotes fitness, health, and Christian Fellowship for members, friends, and our community. Our mission comes from the book of 1 John 1:7 “…. Fellowship With One Another ….”. The Sports Ministry provides an opportunity for competitive fellowship within our church membership as well as among local area churches. Sports Ministry is expanding events and activities to fit the congregation’s demand. Currently, the Sports Ministry events and activities include:
• Eric M Willis Memorial Golf Tournament (Annual Event, provides scholarships)
• ASBC Bowling League – (Monthly Event)
• ASBC Chess Club – (Bi-Monthly Event)
• Christian Walk – (Annual Event)
• Let’s Ride – (Annual Event)
• ASBC Yoga – (Scheduled Sessions)
• Baptist Cup ASBC vs. Shiloh Baptist Church – (Annual Event)
• Golf Fairway Fellowship – (Scheduled Sessions)
• ASBC Basketball Fellowship – (Scheduled Sessions)
• ASBC Co-ed Softball Team – (April – June)
• ASBC Runners – (Annual Event)